Keyman will not install

Using macOS Monterey, Version 12.0.1. When I click on Install Keyman, I get the error message “No such text input source: Keyman (1).” Another member had the same problem in December 2021. You solved his problem with an updated version of Keyman … but I am using the version that he said solved his problem, and yet I am getting the same error message.

What version of Keyman is this you are having the issue with? Is it with the latest stable version Keyman 14.0 for macOS?

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly! Keyman-14.0.283

Here is what our developer suggests would help.

I’m guessing that that there is something existing from a previous install that it is having a hard time replacing on disk. So maybe cleaning up manually, deleting the previous version from the Input Methods folder, would help.

Open Finder and go to /Users/[userName]/Library/Input Methods and delete Keyman.app

If it can’t be deleted because it’s in use, then might need to disable in System Preferences first and possibly restart the Mac before deleting

I cannot explain why or how, but the problem is solved. I looked everywhere for the Keyman.app on my hard drive, and it was no where to be found. It was not in the Input Methods folder, or anywhere else. The only mention of Keyman on my computer was the dmg package (that would not install) in my Downloads folder. So I trashed that, emptied the trash, and downloaded it again directly from the SIL site. I tried it again, and this time it installed, no problem. Mystery!, but problem solved. Thanks.

Was this the first time ever you clicked to install Keyman on the machine in question? Just trying to understand the mystery.

Yes. This is the first time I downloaded the Keyman software. I tried multiple times to install it. Finally, I gave up and read your earlier comments, including from the person in December who had had the exact same problem. After that, I went back, erased the download from my folder and went to the site to which you had directed the other inquirer (which was the same site I had originally used before.) I downloaded the app afresh, and got the same error response. That’s when I contacted you.

1 Like

Tracking this at https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/5578

I’m having this same problem, but unfortunately in my case it did not resolve on multiple attempts. I repeatedly followed precisely the instructions lauriemelissa did, but no joy. I even tried downloading the version 15 beta, in case it fixes the problem, but it does not. So I guess for the time being, I cannot use Keyman, though I would love to.

@Rick_Marshall, I’m sorry you’re having this experience. I’ve asked our macOS dev to look into this – would you be happy to provide additional diagnostics to him if needed?

Sure. Just let me know what to provide.

Our macOS dev is running some investigations on his end to try and determine the root cause of the problem, and will get back to you if he needs anything specific from you. He will hopefully have an update in the next few days.

1 Like

We have done further investigation and testing and believe that this may be due to an issue with the Apple system input method data being corrupted (not actually something that Keyman is doing, but due to a bug somewhere in macOS). There are a number of similar reports online for various input methods, including Apple-supplied input methods, for example on the MULTILINGUAL MAC blog.

Apple provided a solution in a support article, which they have since removed (no idea why), but we’ve got the same information in draft here: Keyman KB0108 (draft).

We actually experienced this exact issue on one of our computers today, and this process did resolve the issue on our machine.

So we’re hopeful this will resolve the issue for you too – please do let us know how you go.

1 Like

Hi, Marc!

This morning I followed the instructions for the Safe Mode reboot, and it worked. The Mac Os startup screen with the progress bar took much, much longer to complete, but afterward I was able to find the Keyman keyboard under Multiple Languages, just as the install instructions say.

My sincere thanks to you and the team for finding a solution to this problem. I’m now able to install Lushootseed and other Keyman keyboards and start using them.

Thanks again!

1 Like

Really glad to hear that all worked for you!