Keyman 11 Beta Feedback

Let us know what you think so we can make Keyman 11 a better product. If you run into a bug or issue, please report it here.

In order to help our developers replicate your issue, please include the following:

• the language you are working with
  • the keyboard layout your are using
  • the type of device
  • version of the operating system
  • version of the Keyman beta application or app

Where is Keyman 11? I don’t see it on the Keyman site.

On the Products dropdown, look for pre-release versions.

https://keyman.com/downloads/pre-release/

We’ve just announced the beta. Visit https://keyman.com/11/ for more details.

I don’t think the installation steps for the Linux version in the announcement are complete. You also need to type “sudo apt-get install keyman” I think.

After this third step, I do have Keyman on my computer, and I can download and use a keyboard on it.

My linux version is Wasta Linux 18.04, which is based on Ubuntu.

1 Like

Thanks @Steve_White, we’re working on fixing that now :slight_smile:

Language: English-US
Keyboard: gff_amharic v1.7
Device: MacBook Pro
Keyman: 11.0.200

I found two issues with this configuration:

1. The Keyman “About” menu item launches a splash screen, and thats it. Just the splash screen image appears and no text. The image stays in the foreground on top of all other applications and there is no way to close it.

2. The input method does not support letter composition, the 2nd keystroke does not modify the first. So in Amharic typing “k” => “ክ” , typing a following “a” leads to “ክa” and not “ካ” as expected.

I see the page is updated. It now says sudo apt-get install keyman onboard
What does the word “onboard” do in that command line? Is my test machine missing something because I didn’t enter that word in the command?

Per @DanielGlassey , onboard is needed to get the OSK in Keyman for Linux.

I also have a MacBook Pro with macOS Mojave, and I don’t see either of these problems with Keyman 11.0.200. The “about” item shows text with the image and typing ka in the Amharic keyboard gives “ካ”

Do you have problems with other keyboards beside the Amharic one?

Maybe one of the developers can chime in with some troubleshooting tips. Would removing Keyman and reinstalling it again help?

Our macOS developer has reproduced the first issue you describe. He’s looking into it now.

For the second issue, which app(s) is this occurring in? Can you test also in TextEdit?

I did a complete uninstall and reinstall of keyman on my macbook. previously i had simply copied the new keyman on top of the old. the behavior remains the same.

The keyboard works fine with TextEdit, Safari and Sublime. But has the composition issue with Chrome 71.0.3578.98 and MS Word 16.16.5 .

So far, I have exclusively distributed kmx (or kmn for kmfl) files, and have never generated .kmp packages. But keyman for linux only accepts .kmp?

Justin, I expect this is by design. I asked this question last Feb about Keyman for MacOS accepting kmx files, this is what Mark D wrote:

@Justin_Luth - yes, the .kmp package is a lot easier to distribute.
Here’s a guide on using Keyman Developer to create a keyboard package:

https://help.keyman.com/developer/10.0/guides/distribute/tutorial/

Another experience with the 11.0.200 osx build is that when I select from the MS Word font menu, or font size menu, it triggers the keyman onscreen keyboard to pop up.

The instructions for installing “Keyman for Linux 11.0 beta” say: “On Ubuntu (gnome-shell) you need to install the Input Source in Region & Language Settings.” This is not obvious to me. Are there more detailed instructions somewhere? For example, if I want to install the EuroLatin keyboard and use it to type French, what should I do (on a standard Ubuntu 18.04 install)?

I’ve created issue #1523 for this. Can you update it with your macOS version and applicable details?

Hi @drowe, we are working on the documentation for Linux installation – at present the beta is available on the assumption that you’d already be familiar with your Linux distribution’s language configuration. We do aim to have documentation for popular distros available by release date.

FWIW, km-config from the console is a good starting point for downloading and installing keyboard packages.