Hi - (Sorry for putting this in the wrong category, but there isn’t one for Lexique Pro)
I don’t know if anyone’s maintaining Lexique Pro (last update 2012) but we find it a very useful tool in our translation project as a light-weight dictionary viewer.
L-Pro did work on this computer (Windows 10 Pro), but suddenly it stopped. The application launches and shows the splash screen with progress indicator, but the main window never appears. I’ve tried reinstalling, deleting all L-Pro registry entries and reinstalling again, but the problem persists.
The only things that have changed since it DID work were:
Changing Windows 10 Pro from unregistered to a full licence.
Removing Office 2016 (unregistered) and replacing with a full licence of Office 2019 Pro.
I don’t know why either of these things could have affected L-Pro, but I guess some library somewhere could have been affected.