Importing books from another bloom collection

Hello. How can I import books from one Bloom collection into another collection?

Each Bloom book is a folder of files on your hard drive. Each collection is itself a folder containing all the book folder in it. So to move books between collections, you just need quit Bloom, then move the book folders between collection folders.

When you right-click a book in the collection tab, one option is ā€œopen folder on diskā€. This will bring up an explorer with the book folder selected, so you can cut or copy it. One level up in the folder hierarchy will usually be all your other bloom collections, making it easy to find the place to paste it.

If the collections are in a different language, you may be thinking of a different kind of import: where you use a book in one language as a shell to translate into another. There are a few options for this:

1. Upload the book to bloom library (Publish/Share on the web). Then follow the link Bloom shows you and download it again. Open the other collection. Look for the book in ā€œBooks from Bloom libraryā€ and then ā€œMake a book using this sourceā€
  2. If you made the book in a ā€œsourceā€ collection, you can open the other collection, find your source collection in ā€œsources for new shellsā€, and again, ā€œMake a book using this sourceā€. You can also ā€œmake a bloom packā€ and then open itā€¦on another computer if desiredā€¦to make those books available for others to translate.

Thanks so muchā€¦this is all very helpful! I think we got it working now. :slight_smile:

How do I import/move a book to another collection keeping the original text as well (not only the pictures with the original text in a bubble). What I want is to transfer only a part of the original collection to a different collection (as I mixed up 2 different languages in the same collection).

Right-click on the book within Bloom, then choose ā€œopen folder on diskā€. This will open Windows Explorer (\Documents\Bloom[Collection name][Book Name]). Close Bloom. Copy that whole folder to another collection within Windows Explorer. Open that Collection in Bloom.

In order for the text to not appear in the bubbles, the second collection needs to include the language from the original collection and the correct language . Open the book, switch it to ā€œtwo languageā€, then copy the text to the correct box. (Copying from the text bubbles is available in 4.6 Beta, but not 4.5).

It would probably be better to use Bloomā€™s Duplicate Book feature first. (Right-click on the book in Bloom to find that.)

Bloom keeps track of a bookā€™s identity internally with a special code, so on some internal level just copying folders is a bit dangerous. So duplicating the book and then moving the new book to another folder is safer. (Among other things, if both books get uploaded to the website, the second would overwrite the first.)

I need to transfer an unfinished book to my co-worker in another location for him to make changes and record the text. Iā€™ve copied the Bloom pack and sent it to himā€¦ I understand he needs to paste it into his Bloom collection folderā€¦ but how will it then appear on his user level ā€˜Collectionā€™?

Hi Kurumi,

I need to transfer an unfinished book to my co-worker in another location for him to make changes and record the text. Iā€™ve copied the Bloom pack and sent it to himā€¦

To clarify, a Bloom Pack is a way to distribute shellbooks. It is a file that ends in ā€œ.bloompackā€. We do not intend people to use Bloom Packs as a way of handing off a project to a colleague for further work.

A book folder is a folder of files that have all the pieces that it takes to make a bloom book. These folders live inside of collection folder, on your hard drive.

So for your task, you donā€™t want to share a Bloom Pack. You want to

1. Find the book folder on your disk
  2. Send that to your colleague
  3. Have your colleague place that book folder into their collection folder.

Lizā€™s comment above gives you the exact steps.

I apologize again that we donā€™t have an easier way yet!

I understand he needs to paste it into his Bloom collection folderā€¦ but how will it then appear on his user level ā€˜Collectionā€™?

So once he has placed the folder inside of this collection folder, well then itā€™s going to be sitting there alongside any other book folders from that collection. When he then runs Bloom, it will see that new folder and show the thumbnail for that book.

Does that clear it up?

1 Like

Hello John,

It took us a while, but we got it working - delay caused by

communication across continents rather than Bloom not functioning.
Thank you very much for your help.

Quick question while we are at it: Is there a way to flip

illustrations (left to right)? I suppose not, since I only see a
crop-function.

Kurumi

As you thought, no, Bloom does not have this functionality. But most free image editors including the ones which come with Windows can do this.

Hello Andrew. I did actually figure that out myself just after having posted my question but good to know for sure that Bloom doesnā€™t have that feature. Thank you for replying.
Anne-Marie