"ICON button" for voice

Is there a way to create an “icon button” (i.e. showing a microphone) to allow the user to touch the button to then speak/record their voice or perform some other function.
I presume we could use a non-used extended ascii code or something and have the application then decide what to do, but can this button display a graphic instead of a character or word?
If so, how would one do this?
thanks,

Hi Rusty, I don’t know of any way to do this currently. Additionally, not being a developer myself, I am not familiar with the current Keyman roadmap, but I would imagine that this is quite a ways down the road. I think the Keyman team has some other issues they are trying to iron out at this point.
I know this is not the answer you were hoping for…

Hi @RustyE,

As Ken said, voice support is not on our near-term roadmap. However, I don’t think that’s quite what you were asking for!

Adding your own key to a custom keyboard that you create and use within your app is certainly possible.

There are a few ways you can include a custom icon:

1. Use an emoji character. This is pretty painless but the look may vary depending on the device.
  2. Include a custom font with your keyboard that has the image as a character (preferably in the PUA area)
  3. Include a custom CSS file for the keyboard, with an image embedded as a base64 blob. A complete example is probably beyond the scope of this forum, and the custom CSS support is currently pretty sparsely documented, but you may find Advanced [Re]styling of Mobile Keyboards with CSS interesting as well as https://help.keyman.com/developer/language/reference/kmw_embedcss.

That covers including a custom icon.

In terms of triggering an action in the app, yes, you could cause that key to emit a character (e.g. a PUA character is ideal), and make your app respond to attempts to insert that character as appropriate. That’s probably the simplest way to achieve integration.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.