How to get Art of Reading images for use outside Bloom

Trying to take some AoR images out of Bloom for use elsewhere. Tried to download the AoR 3.0 from SIL publications site but the site isn’t not working. Does anyone have any workarounds?
Ian

You could add the images you want to a Bloom book, then retrieve them out of the book’s folder.

1 Like

Thanks John. I ended up publishing to pdf then editing the image in Gimp, saving as a png, but the file was 6 MB, just for a little black and white picture. And it is more of a faff. Getting the image from the book folder kept it’s size nice and small.

Also another solution could be to browse to the “hidden” directory where AoR keeps its images, which is C:\ProgramData\SIL\ImageCollections\Art Of Reading\images

1 Like

Would it be possible to make the Bloom/WeSay AoR search interface available as a standalone program (e.g. as part of the AoR installer), so people can easily search through and get images from the AoR image database? People in DR Congo love AoR images, but it’s a bit cumbersome if they have to start Bloom or WeSay to find and get the images they’re looking for.

This message looks like it’s just sent to me and not the whole group.

Ian

(now posted to group instead of just ian :-))
Would it be possible to make the Bloom/WeSay AoR search interface available as a standalone program (e.g. as part of the AoR installer), so people can easily search through and get images from the AoR image database? People in DR Congo love AoR images, but it’s a bit cumbersome if they have to start Bloom or WeSay to find and get the images they’re looking for.

On https://bloomlibrary.org/artofreading there’s a note of explanation:

"This is not the full “International Illustrations: The Art Of Reading”. That product, which comes as a DVD, includes 3rd-party commercial software for finding the image you want. In contrast, the package offered here contains only the images themselves, and is only useful when used from a program that can help you find images (namely WeSay and Bloom).

We’ve been contacted by someone who working on an application that make Bloom’s Image Toolbox available as a separate application. I’ll post here when I have more information.

1 Like

Hi John,

Any news about this application to make Bloom’s Image Toolbox available as a separate application?

For those of you that would like to use the Art of Reading images (found in Bloom) in other publications : today - by accident - I figured that you can right click on an image in the image explorer in Bloom and that will give you the option to copy the image. Once copied, you can paste it in any other document (e.g. Word), see attachment.

Trying this ((right mouse click on image in Image Toolbox to copy the image) in Bloom 5.0.0 and it seems this is - unfortunately - no longer working.

@JohnHatton do you know if this option has been removed ‘on purpose’ or ‘by accident’?

Yeah kind of both. It was never a feature of Bloom, but rather a side effect of us not hiding the underlying Firefox browser that was used in that control. You’ll notice several very un-Bloom commands in that menu, like “View Source”.

As more of the Bloom UI gets switched over to Firefox, these unintended right-click menus start to interfere with genuine Bloom commands, so we’ve removed access to them.

I’ve sent out some inquiries about a tool developed by others that is a stand-alone program for doing what you want. I’ll get back to you.