How to enter a yud + khirek yud (ייִ) in the Pasekh Yiddish keyboard

Am I missing the trick needed to enter a yud,followed by a khirek yud ( ייִ) using the Pasekh Yiddish keyboard?

It’s used in words like ייִדין.

I always end up fighting the correction/update logic of the keyboard. If I type the yud twice, I get יִי, which is close, but the dotted (khirek) yud should be on the left, not on the right. I looked at both the shifted and unshifted keyboards and I read the Pasekh Yiddish help file, and I still can’t find the combination of keys that I need to hit to enter ייִ

Thanks, folks.

When I try the online Pasekh Yiddish keyboard, it looks like if I press ‘y’ then ‘i’ I get the dot on the left. Does this work on yours?

Steve, I owe you a beverage of your choice. That worked!

Thanks so much.

I’m going to be updating this keyboard. Can you tell me where I need to modify the documentation?
Thanks!

Hi, Lorna.

Thanks for contacting me.

In the Quickstart section of the Yiddish keyboard help file, there’s no instruction for producing the yud + khirik yud combination that appears in words like ייִדיש

As Steve White kindly informed me, the user can enter that letter pair by typing an unshifted UNICODE y, followed by an i. There’s nothing in the help file or in the pop-up keyboard map that would let the user know how to do that.

The shortcut makes sense because the sound that those two characters make is similar to “yee” or “yi,” but it’s not intuitive, in my opinion. Typing either an i or a y, followed by any other key, will produce a “plain” yud. The sequence “yi” is an undocumented shortcut as far as I can tell.

Please add ייִ it to the table of keyboard shortcuts for entering diphthongs and characters with diacritical marks that exists currently in the Quickstart section.

Best regards,

Jay

Two other things I didn’t see in the documentation.

1. If you press the ‘i’ key word initially, you get אי (aleph then yud), but you only get yud when you press it word medially.
  2. If you press ‘i’ then ‘y’ you get yud with a dot under to the right of the other yud. This is the opposite to what DrJay wanted, the dot under the yud to the left.

iy > ייִ (dotted yud to left)
yi > יִי (dotted yud to right)

2 Likes

Hi, the Keyman Pasekh keyboard is also missing shortcuts for creating the khirek yud with other vowel combinations. For example, it is sometimes necessary to type עיִ or אַיִ, but that doesn’t seem possible with this keyboard. This would be an excellent option to add. Thanks!

Hi asya. Welcome to the community. I’ve created an issue in our GitHub repo, but I’m not sure when we’ll be able to do this. The issue is here:

1 Like

Hi, @Lorna. It’s me again. :grinning:

Did this ever get done?

It’s not a commonly used character but sometimes you need just a khirek yud יִ with no second yud on either side of it. One example of a Yiddish word that uses the khirek yud this way: פֿעיִק (capable, bright).

I typed the word above with the ייִ Pasekh Yiddish keyboard shortcut “yi,” that I learned from @Steve_White. But to get rid of the second yud I had to click just to the left of the unpointed yud on the right of the khirek yud and backspace over it. It would be really great to have a shifted character (perhaps a Shift-i since it’s currently mapped to the same yud as the unshifted i) or else a keyboard shortcut to give just the khirek yud.

If there’s already a way to get just a khirek yud I haven’t found it yet.

Thanks very much.

Jay

It looks like the issue is still open, so no I’m sorry it hasn’t been done yet. I’ll need to study it a bit before doing this as I don’t want to break anything.

OK! Thanks for the fast response.

Hi, @Lorna . Any updates on this?

Currently, the plain yud (י) is mapped to the letter i in both lowercase and shifted. If Shift-i (I) could be mapped to the khirek yud (יִ), the one with the dot under it, leaving the plain yud mapped to lowercase i, that would be a huge help and pretty intuitive for the writer.

Is that possible?

Jay

We just updated the keyboard: Yiddish Pasekh keyboard

I put the yud khirek on the I + I keystrokes. I didn’t feel I could just put it on I because that is used in combination with other keystrokes to form various things and I was afraid it would conflict in ways I wasn’t aware of. This seemed safest to me.

That works! It’s much easier to type I + I than to type y + i and then have to arrow over to the yud on the right and delete it just to get the יִ.

Thanks, @Lorna.