How to Change Keyman 14.0 Icon

Keyman 14.0 is working perfectly for me. I have no problem at all with its functionality.

I run it on both my desktop computer and my laptop computer. Both computers are running Windows 10 Pro.

On each computer, I have a shortcut for the product on my Desktop. That shortcut icon is different on the two computers and I can’t figure out how to change the icon so that it is the same on both computers.

Can you help me with that?

Hi Len, I’m thinking you may have different versions of the keyboard installed on the different computers. Generally, the icon is compiled into the .kmx and I don’t know of any way to change the icon. That’s what makes me think it was compiled with different icons. If you need it to be the same, make sure you have the same version installed on both computers.

Most kind of your to offer this information, Lorna. I do appreciate it.

The version of Keyman is the same on both computers (14.0), and exactly the same languages are loaded.

Thanks much.

Len

Can you send a screenshot of the two icons?

(I’m just guessing without pictures, but it is possible that the Windows Explorer icon cache has been corrupted which can cause icons to be incorrect.)

Marc,

I hadn’t realized that I could attach an image to a posting, but now I see that is possible.

Here are the two icons:

Keyman Icon on Desktop Computer

Keyman Icon on Laptop

Yes, that looks like a classic Windows Explorer corrupted icon cache. It’s not going to break anything serious if you leave it alone (and conversely, trying to fix it can get you into trouble sometimes), so if you are willing to live with it, I’d just leave it.

However, if you really want to fix it, you can either:

1. Uninstall and reinstall Keyman – that should reset the icon and probably resolve the problem (you’ll need to reinstall your keyboard layouts as well); or
  2. Attempt to reset the Explorer icon cache. This is an unsupported process (either by us or Microsoft), so proceed at your own risk! There are many sites that give instructions on how to do this (e.g. How to Rebuild (Reset) a Corrupted Icon Cache on Windows 10? | Windows OS Hub or https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/5645-rebuild-icon-cache-windows-10-a.html) – I cannot vouch for how well they work!

Marc,

Thank you for confirming what my problem is. Obviously, it’s no big deal. I can live with the icon that appears. Funny, though, it’s the only icon on my desktop that appears that way.

Take care.

Len

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.