How does one go about installing Keyman 14 on Ubuntu 21.04?

I just installed Ubuntu 21.04 and subsequently tried installing Keyman 14, following the instructions on the homepage:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:keymanapp/keyman
sudo apt upgrade
sudo apt install keyman onboard-keyman

However, the repository contains no version for Ubuntu 21.04, so the repository gives an error upon running sudo apt upgrade:

E: The repository 'http://ppa.launchpad.net/keymanapp/keyman/ubuntu hirsute Release' does not have a Release file.
N: Updating from such a repository can't be done securely, and is therefore disabled by default.
N: See apt-secure(8) manpage for repository creation and user configuration details.

So how do I go about installing Keyman 14 on Ubuntu 21.04?

Welcome to the forum.

At the moment, Keyman for Linux has packages primarily for LTS releases (Bionic and Focal), plus Groovy.

@EberhardBeilharz might have a better estimate when we can get packages on 21.04.
(Does Keyman issue #4273 of adding support for Wayland need to be resolved first?)

1 Like

Thank you :slight_smile:

Considering how often Ubuntu puts out new versions, it would be great if there was a way of installing Keyman that was version-agnostic, e.g. a snap package, so that Keyman functionality wouldn’t disappear every six months. But I understand there may be outstanding issues to packaging Keyman 14 for Ubuntu. I do hope it’ll happen anyway :slight_smile:

Yes, Snap is on our roadmap :slight_smile: But it wouldn’t necessarily resolve the issues around changing interfaces which require work to support – as in the Wayland support in this case.

By the way, packages for Hirsute are now available in the ppa - as you might have noticed.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.