How do I tell DAB which exported file to use for the lexicon and reversal index when making the next version of the app?

Once an app is created it’s necessary to be able to update it as changes are made to the data in FLEx.

Imagine that the first file was exported as dictionary_150418.xhtml
Then I’ve updated the data in FLEx and exported dictionary_250618.xhtml

The Lexicon tab shows the path to the file but it’s all in grey. There is no obvious option for changing that path and file name prior to making an updated app.

How do I tell DAB which exported file to use for the lexicon and reversal index when making the next version of the app?

It is best to use a generic name then replace that file with the new one. Then in the Lexicon section a button appears “Update from source …” since the file is changed that les you reload the lexicon. For the Indexes you can just delete them and reimport them.

1 Like

I think I have may have found a work around.

1. Export the updated dictionary from FLEx and give it the new (more generic name) .xhtml

2. Close DAB

3. Find the app Definition file:
    On my computer it is in Documents\App Builder\Dictionary Apps\Seimat
    the is only one file and it has the extension .appDef

4. Right click on the appDef file and edit it with Notepad.

5. Near the top of the file is the path and name of the file that is used to build the app.

6. Change the path and filename so that it matches the path and file created in step 1.

7. Save this file and close notepad.

8. Open DAB and Build the app, see if it works.

Perhaps a developer could comment on whether this is a ‘safe’ and sufficient procedure.

1 Like

David,

I have done that too but as not everyone understands when they are breaking the .appdef file I don’t see it is best practice.

Ian

DAB Version 5.4 does not show this button “update from source”. I need many rounds of exporting and generating apps for gui styles tweaking.

I observe further that Flex 9 does not reliably export an updated export.css when I work in the Configure Dictionary tool. It does create a new file, but not all my changes make it into the export. Weird.

I would like some more control, or at least visual confirmation that DAB has found a new XHTML data file and has found (and has integrated or not) a new export.css file.

DAB now checks and updates if the file is newer. It tells you the last Modified date.

If you think the CSS is not being updated then you could check its date in File Explorer. If it is not being updated then try deleting it before doing the next export.

Following David Baines’ steps the first time worked well for me. However, it only worked if I left the original file name the same.

For future lexicon updates, I anticipate following Ian McQuay’s initial instructions.

I would like to request that in a future version of the DAB, that there be a place in the DAB GUI to select an updated .lift file. This would be easier and more intuitive for most users.

Thanks for the workaround, and this amazing piece of software.