Downloaded & Installed Keyman for Linux 13.0 but the .KMX file the Tamajaq Tawallammat team uses won't load

I just downloaded and installed Keyman for Linux 13.0 to do some work on a Tamajaq Tawallammat (Latin Script NOT Tiffinagh) project. I tried installing the Tamajaq-Unicode.kmx file that one of the Tamajaq Tawallammat translation team members sent me, but evidently Keyman for Linux 13.0 only accepts .kmp files.

I notice that the language page suggests a Mali keyboard, but the translators say no, use the Taquni (Tamajaq Unicode) keyboard, which evidently all of the team members now use.

I need help in one of the following ways:

1. Instructions on how to convert the .kmx file to a .kmp file if its not too technical.
  2. If its too technical, direction to someone who can help do the conversion.

I can help create a .kmp for you, but it will take a while to get all required information and permission from the author of the keyboard. The easiest way to get a .kmp is to contact the author and ask for it. It will just be a click away.

If you need an alternative for the time being, you may want to try this keyboard: https://keyman.com/keyboards/sil_tawallammat.

1 Like

Makara, Thanks for the offer of help. I am in the process of trying to find out who created the kmx file. The current (Old Testament) translators don’t know, they just use it. Most likely it was created by whoever was doing technical support at SIL Niger back when the Tamajaq Tawallammat Latin Script characters were mapped to Unicode.

The link you provided is to the keyboard for the Tiffinagh script not the Latin script. Same language different script.

I just need to check with one of the old translators, no longer on the field) to see who created the kmx file.

In the meantime, here’s the link to the Tamajaq Tawallammat Latin Script details: https://scriptsource.org/cms/scripts/page.php?item_id=wrSys_detail&key=ttq-Latn-NE

I’ll post again as soon as I find out who originated the kmx. What is the best way for me to send it to you?

You can reach out to me via email at makara@keyman.com. If the copyright is not a issue (since it’s SIL’s), you can go ahead and send me the .kmx and I will create an appropriate .kmp based on that.

Just a quick update on this issue. Makara investigated the problem with the .kmx an suggested we work on a .kmp. With the help of Christian G. we were able to get a more complete keyboard with full documentation. Then Makara and I worked on the touch Layout to bring all the main Tawallammat Latin characters onto the unshifted layout. Finally Makara completed the process by getting the new kmp in the keyman repository.

So I’m glad to report to any Tawallammat Tamajaq Latin script users that the new and much improved Tawallammat Latin v1.2 keyboard is now available for download in the repository. The URL to the keyboard downloads is: https://keyman.com/keyboards/tawallammat_latin.
I have tested it in Windows 10, Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS, and on an Android.

Another problem has come up installing the keyboard in Ubuntu 20.04 but that is a different issue.

Thank you all so much for your help. Many Tamajaq speaking users will be very grateful for the new keyboard with easy access.

Whoever has permission to mark issues as “closed” please consider this issue closed.

2 Likes