Does SIL have a software text utility that will allow us to type Hebrew and Arabic correctly in programs that do not support right-to-left languages?

Does SIL have a software text utility that will allow us to type Hebrew and Arabic correctly in programs that do not support right-to-left languages?

If not, why not create one?

1 Like

Unfortunately, this is not really something that can be solved by an external utility – it typically requires significant changes to the program in question in order to properly support right-to-left scripts.

Hello Marc,

I see this application did such work with Affinity which does not support RTL at all.

And I calso can’t use open type unicode as Serif does not support LTR shape engine properly.

I wish Keyman has such utility application (may be payable as that application)

Best regards
Arun

Hi Arun,

With most applications and devices, which have good Unicode and OpenType support, these utilities are no longer needed. Given that’s where the vast majority of software has moved, we’re focusing on improving Unicode support rather than these alternate solutions. Affinity need to get their act together to support additional scripts!

Agreed Marc, but unfortunately some software like Affinity, Serif Plus range, Vector Styler & Xara still does not support “Shape Engine”.

Yes, unfortunately those companies have chosen to focus on support for Western languages. There’s not much we can do about that from here. I feel like it’s better to use applications such as Adobe Indesign which do now finally include reasonable complex script support, and not invest time and energy into these other applications which may never have good complex script support.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.