Defining box sizes manually

I am having a hard time making pages with consistent box sizes. I design the page and then have to slide the image (or text) box to the desired percentage. If i want a square box, I have to hover over the image holder to see the dpi. If I want to be sure I have a certain box size, I keep fiddling until I get it. I have been told that I can zoom in and then the slider is more accurate.

I think it would be easier if there were a way to manually define the size.
Alternatively, if the dpi dimension were visible somewhere as you slide, this would be helpful.

Otherwise, I see Chris has asked here Automate resizing of Image Box for snap to image size. That would work when all my images are square, I guess.

Thanks.

Thanks for this, Jeni. Do you also want to give it a vote?

@JeniBister

Alternatively, if the dpi dimension were visible somewhere as you slide, this would be helpful.

This might be something we could add quickly. Is this what you would want?

I know it’s weird to say “dots” instead of “pixels”… earlier we decided on “dots” thinking that “pixels” are hard to translate.

Otherwise, I see Chris has asked here Automate resizing of Image Box for snap to image size. That would work when all my images are square, I guess.

I’m not thinking it requires being square? There are two “snap points” that occur to me:

1. When the proportions (height vs width) of the image box matches the proportion of the image.
  2. When the image would be shown with its original vertical resolution of pixels
  3. When the image would be shown with its original horizontal resolution of pixels

I know you have a big Bloom conversion project going on so if we can do something that would save you a lot of time, I would like to prioritize it.

I think either or both of these (improved display and/or snap) are a lot easier for us to add to the UI without complicating it than having a way of typing in a box size. Let me know what you think, thanks.

On a related post, we have

@xofweber or @JeniBister , Can you help me understand when someone would think “I need this box to be 59.2%”. Is it because the previous page was 59.2% and they are trying to match it?

thanks

The current resizer is rather hard to fine-tune. The value shown, (e.g. 59.2%) is % of the page width/height, which is useful, but “dots” or dpi have finer granularity and might be easier to understand for some people. I agree that it would be very helpful to be able to set a specific size for vertical or horizontal “dots”, to enable facing pages, or an entire book, to match in picture and text block sizes.

@JeniBister Please check out the recent post on Automate resizing of Image Box - #14 by JohnHatton, let us know if that’s going to work for you. You might have to try it out before you know, that’s fine.