Customizing Keyman and other queries

Hi Marc, Vikram here from India…

I have been using some custom ANSI keyboards which i have made on Tavultesoft keman 6, I have been using it past 10-12 years on windows 32 bit OS like XP, Windows 7

Now I am thinking about updating my keyboards for Win 64 bit, so I am thinking of using Keyman 8 developer or keyman 14 developer…

i tested on both 8 & 14 versions both are 64bit and work fine on win10 64bit…

i personally liked keyman 8 as my keyboards are not being populated on windows language taskbar and windows language taskbar remains clean…

Keyman 14 on the other hand looks more compatible and stable…

My some queries and point are as follows:

1. Is there a way in Keyman 14 that my ANSI keyboards are linked with windows but don’t show in the language bar, Keyboards should be shown on Keyman taskbar app only…

2. When I install my ANSI keyboard during installation it shows ANSI keyboard description, but when it’s installed, in the installed keyboard encodings section it shows unicode…

3. Branding Packs which were available for Developer 8 and 9, are they available for version 14, how to make .kxx files from .kmx.

4. In QuarkXpress 4.1 I can’t use any of the keyman keyboards… i tried many Non unicode keyboards… Keyman Keyboards do not work in Quark 4.1 under XP, Windows 7,10 32/64 bit…

I made Hindi test keyboard in MKLC to test, I don’t know to make the whole Hindi keyboard in it, just made 1 row…and i have noted that if I use MKLC and make Non Unicode ANSI keyboard it works on Quark 4.1, but Keyman keyboard won’t work…
Quark 4.1 Gogle drive link sent to your email support@keyman.com
Can you work on this quark issue…

Thank you so much for the Keyman software…

Thanks…

Hi @Vikram007, welcome to the community!

Things have changed a lot since Keyman 8. I’ll go through your questions:

1. No, all keyboards are associated with a Windows language. This doesn’t change the way Keyman works – behind the scenes, you are always using a Windows keyboard and Keyman on top of it. This design does resolve many problems, such as Windows apps thinking a keyboard is in the wrong language and applying autocorrect, etc.

2. Keyman converts the keyboard from ANSI (WIndows-1252) to Unicode at install time, because internally, both Windows and Keyman are fully Unicode. This doesn’t change the behaviour of the keyboard – it still works exactly the same.

3. The Branding Pack has been retired. Instead, Keyman is open source and you can fork the source at https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman and do whatever you like with it!

4. QuarkXpress 4.1 is a 20-year old program. There’s nothing we’re going to be able to do with it, sorry.

1. how to make .kxx files from .kmx

that is how to lock the keyboard files…

1. Can any one find out why MKLC works on Quark 4.1 but Keyman Keyboards won’t…

what causes the issue…

If you want to lock the keyboard files, you will need to implement that yourself with your own copy protection. Keyman does not include copy protection.

We cannot share links to licensed software downloads. I have removed the link.

The reason MSKLC keyboards work is that they are Windows keyboard libraries. QuarkXpress did not work in a totally compatible way and so other methods of providing input, such as what Keyman does, are not supported by the app. But they had to support standard Windows keyboards or nothing would work.

But as I said, this is a 20 year old app. It is unlikely that anyone is going to be able to do much to support it today.

Where can i contact you on email…

If you need to communicate privately, you can send me a private message on this forum; I don’t have the capacity to provide one-on-one support though!

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.