CSS Tweaks not reflecting in App

Hi,
I’m trying to format a dictionary app to conform to a standard. DAB seems to provide the possibility to modify the css rules permitting this, but the changes I make do not appear in the app. It seems as if they are being ignored by DAB. Is there a solution to this?
I found this post from last year which seems to indicate the same sort of issue.
The suggestion is made to combine all of the css into one file, eliminating the “override” for the single entry view. But I notice that regardless of if I make changes to the “Imported Styles” or "Modifications"the changes do not appear in the resulting app. Why?

Sincere thanks for any insight you can provide.

Peter

I assume you are using XHTML import from Fieldworks. You did not say that it is only implied by your reference to another post.

So my questions are:
Did you format the source the way you wanted in Fieldworks?
What are you trying to format that is not working?
Are you importing, then making changes in the CSS and reloading the Lexicon?
What changes are you making changes in the Styles section?

Unfortunately we do not have a good list of what can be changed and what can’t.

If you can share your source files and project (off list) and give me a list of what you are trying to change, I can check it out and write up a bug report if I can’t get it to work either.

@pwulfing, Currently, DAB only imports the styles from FLEx during the first import and copies them to its own format. If you change the styles and re-import, you will NOT see the style changes updated in DAB and the resulting app (but you will see content/entry changes).

Here’s my writeup:
From my experimentation, It seems that once you have imported a lexicon and stylesheet, the CSS file it imported with the XHTML (even though copied to lexicon’s .appdef) is forevermore ignored, and you can only use the Styles>Imported Styles tab to edit the styles already imported for the App. There seems to be no in-app option to force re-import the styles from a new stylesheet without creating a new project (only the XHTML).

Unlike you, I have had success editing the “Imported styles” in DAB directly, but it helps to know CSS.

Note 1: Fonts are separate from styles, and can be configured per writing system in DAB.
Note 2: Formatting in the Lexicon list and Reversal List (not entry view) is entirely unrelated to FLEx styles and is configured solely in DAB. The relevant styles for formatting the Lexicon and Reversal list pages are:

• ui.list-item-title-xxx under the lexicon tab is the lexicon headword
  • ui.list-item-subtitle-en under the lexicon tab is the lexicon definition
  • ui.list-item-title-en is the reversal headword on the reversal tab
  • ui.list-item-subtitle-xxx is the reversal definition (in the language) on the reversal tab

Of course, you could import the new Dico and CSS into another blank app and copy the style section from the new .appdef file to the old project…but that’s a very roundabout way. :slight_smile:

Mathew, thanks for this.

There seems to be no in-app option to force re-import the styles from a new stylesheet without creating a new project (only the XHTML).

But that is not very helpful and confusing to those trying to work on DAB apps. If you don’t get it right the first time, you have to keep building new apps to see the changes you are trying to make… rather tedious.

What keeps the re-import from rebuilding the styles? Can we request a change of this activity, or request a switch to enable/disable the re-import of styles?

Merry Christmas,

Peter

Please start a new thread with your request in it as a Feature Request. A request at the end of the thread gets lost.