CSS does not work on custom layer

Thanks Marc
Actually I have a comma key on the Keyman Android touch keyboard which give a comma in default case. But when shift is active, it give a << that I cannot find anywhere in the code. It should just give a comma as programmed in my code.

Cheers
Ibrahima

Okay, the version of the keyboard you shared with me does not have that comma key, which may explain the confusion!

But now I can guess what the issue is. I expect that the key currently has the identifier (or ‘code’) K_COMMA, and its modifier is set to “(current layer)”. That translates to Shift+K_COMMA, which will default to <, just as you would find on a US English keyboard. You need to change the modifier property from “(current layer)” to “default”:

A million thanks Marc, that did solve the issue!!!
I actually could not understand the difference between “Current layer” and “Default”.
By the way is the version you have the one I uploaded to Github?

And thanks again Marc!
Ibrahima

“(current layer)” simply means that the key identifier uses the same layer identifer as the layer that it is on (in this case, that key was on the Shift layer, so the full key identifier was Shift+Comma). “Default” is the name of the unshifted layer, and so when you choose that, it overrides the layer identifier for the layer, making the full key identifier just Comma.

Yes.

Hi Marc
Sorry then for the GitHub link, whigh is no the good one. I will upload the correct folder.
And thanks for for helping clarify default vs current layers. I get it now.
Now coming back to the list of issues, we have this

• The shift-comma issue is solved.
  • Capitals on launch will be solved in version 15
  • CSS on long press: not yet solved but it is possible to default long press CSS to something less grey-ish?
  • Submitting keyboard, well I will probably just submit it without CSS then.
    Do I need to add desktop support as this is only touch?

By the way, I was also wondering about including emoji. Not yet read about how to do that but it is a very popular gesture among Fulah users. Any thoughts welcome.

That’s all for now.
Cheers Marc

CSS on long press is possible on iOS and web platforms – but not yet on Android. We are tentatively planning to spend some time on improving theming in 16.0.

This is a good idea, because many people use external (Bluetooth) hardware keyboards on Android, and these need hardware-type definitions. The keyboard will then also work on macOS, Windows and Linux.

Re emoji: we’d like to add some basic emoji support in an upcoming release. It’d be difficult to do well in the confines of a Keyman keyboard today; it really needs additional support in Keyman Engine.

thanks again Marc,

This is a good idea, because many people use external (Bluetooth) hardware keyboards on Android, and these need hardware-type definitions. The keyboard will then also work on macOS, Windows and Linux.

I added the desktop layout. Compiled and tested, it works like charm! I need more testing by other users before getting ready to submit.

CSS on long press is possible on iOS and web platforms – but not yet on Android. We are tentatively planning to spend some time on improving theming in 16.0.

I will leave the CSS then for those platforms that can display it.

I will upload the correct repo to GitHub this time.
Cheers
Ibrahima

1 Like

Hi everyone!
Just a quick question. Why is my keyboard compiling in the wrong folder (outsite the main project folder)??
Quite confused.
Note,: I might have copied the project though, or saved it “as” to another folder.
Any help welcome. And it’s free :wink:

Cheers
Ibrahima

You should check the paths of the keyboards in your project – it may be that you have included a keyboard from another folder?

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.