Combining diacritics appearing as other characters

I have just started using the Thok Nath (Nuer) keyboard for Mac (release el_nuer).

The keyboard works fine except that:

The “;” key should render a combining diacritic macron below " ̱" (U0331) but it renders as “;”.
The “’” key should render a combining diaeresis " ̈" (U0308) but it renders as “’”.

I wonder if this is a bug with the Mac version, as it work successfully on the Browser version.
I tested the previous release and it also has the same issue on my machine.

Welcome to the community!

It looks like there is an issue with the two keys themselves. I’ll look into it and see what is going on.

I’ve looked at the keyboard. The two keys are working as expected, however the keyboard documentation should be improved to guide users how to use the combining marks.

To get

• a̱, type a and then the semicolon key (i.e. a + ; > a̱)
  • ä, type a and then the quote key (i.e. a + ' > ä)

When typing semicolon or quote key in isolation, they would output their normal characters (i.e. ; or ').

The general rules are:

1. the macron below is output when pressing the semicolon/colon key after “a, e, i, o, ɛ, A, E, I, O or Ɛ” – a̱ e̱ i̱ o̱ ɛ̱ A̱ E̱ I̱ O̱ Ɛ̱
  2. the diaeresis is output when pressing the double/single quote key after “a, e, o, ɛ, A, E, O or Ɛ” – ä, ë, ö, ɛ̈, Ä, Ë, Ö, Ɛ̈

Please try again and let me know if it works for now. It is proved to be working for me. :slight_smile:

Thanks Makara,

This is now working as you described. Thanks for you help with this!

Best wishes,

Oliver

1 Like