Coloring images from Art of Reading

This question relates to Art of Reading, so relates to Bloom and WeSay, but also the full AoR collection (DVD)

Art of Reading contains line-drawings, but some books need color images. (This may be a requirement for books created in association with specific organisations).

If someone takes the Art of Reading images and colors them (digitally), how do they handle the copyright? Is SIL International still the copyright holder of the images? Do they just keep the same copyright year? Do they just put a note about who has colored the images?

I’ve asked Alan Connor to answer this, as I think he is the official manager of the AOR licencing.

The license is Creative Commons BY-SA, which allows modifications including colorizing.

The original images are credited as:
© SIL International 2009. Images used with permission.
Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0

A modified image would be released under the same license and include an indication of the changes, by whom. Like this:

© SIL International 2009. Images used with permission.
Colorized by [name]
Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0

See the website for CC for details about the license terms and requirements.

If any AOR images are colored it would be wonderful if they could
be made available to others!

Kim

2 Likes

But, as I have found the pictures from the AoR with different licencing: The Art Of Reading 3.0, © 2009 SIL International. CC-BY-ND 3.0.
The pictures are not licensed under Creative Commons BY-SA 4.0

Use the illustrations from Bloom. These are the latest license.

I am wondering how to get Art of Reading images for use in publications outside of Bloom (such as in a publication made with Ptx Print). Is that possible? I see there is a DVD mentioned, but the Bloom website doesn’t have a link to that and I am wondering if that is intentional.
Thanks.

I’m not sure if the DVD is still available.

Once you’ve installed the Art of Reading image collection, you can find the images at
C:\ProgramData\SIL\ImageCollections\Art Of Reading\images.
Note that ProgramData is a hidden folder by default.

Sorry to hijack this thread. Thanks to @andrew_polk for pointing the way to where the images are stored. I’d like to take it one step further; since the file names aren’t helpful, is there any way to find a particular image in that library? I would love, for example, to search for an image in the Image Galleries within Bloom, then right-click and ‘Show in Folder’. Is there any way we can trace the path of an image that we find using the metadata search?

Once the image is added to a Bloom book, you can hover over the image to get a tooltip which includes, among other things, the file name. Then you could use any file search tool such as Everything or even Windows Explorer to find that file within the Art of Reading folders.

You could even search in the index file directly if you like. It lists all the search terms and the corresponding folder and file name.
C:\ProgramData\SIL\ImageCollections\Art Of Reading\index.txt