Cannot really understand OFL license

Hello

i have read the license multiple times and i felt i just got more and more confused. i just can’t understand it.

can you tell me if someone make a picture which have texts and those texts used fonts with ofl license such as say, comics, and then sell them both digitally and offline what will it count as??

is it modification??

anyway is it allowed??

and in digital format as in it will have layers and text layers(texts can be arranged and modified) means those fonts is there.

i hope someone can answer this @_@

Hi - sorry for any confusion. You only need to follow the OFL restrictions if you modify and redistribute the font itself, not artwork created using the font. See the following entries from the OFL-FAQ:

Question: 1.1 Can I use the fonts for a book or other print publication, to create logos or other graphics or even to manufacture objects based on their outlines?

Answer: Yes. You are very welcome to do so. Authors of fonts released under the OFL allow you to use their font software as such for any kind of design work. No additional license or permission is required, unlike with some other licenses. Some examples of these uses are: logos, posters, business cards, stationery, video titling, signage, t-shirts, personalised fabric, 3D-printed/laser-cut shapes, sculptures, rubber stamps, cookie cutters and lead type.

Question: 1.1.1 Does that restrict the license or distribution of that artwork?

Answer: No. You remain the author and copyright holder of that newly derived graphic or object. You are simply using an open font in the design process. It is only when you redistribute, bundle or modify the font itself that other conditions of the license have to be respected (see below for more details).

1 Like

Okay thank you for the reply.

I am really worried since it do not mention everything else but no comics @_@

i meant i knew comics are books but comics used pictures and so it have less texts than books. So that’s why i’m asking :sweat_smile:

And your first paragraph is the really needed answer since everything else are just confusing not to mention the terms are quite wide-ranged so i just got more confused @_@