Can someone make the Deseret keyboard work on mobile?

https://keyman.com/keyboards/deseret

This layout is just sitting here, but for some reason it doesn’t work on mobile. Not sure why, but how much work would it take to make it work on mobile?

1 Like

It probably would not take a lot of work, but this keyboard is not under the MIT license. I’ll try to find the original author and see if he’s willing to move it to MIT. Otherwise you would be welcome to submit a new keyboard for deseret!

1 Like

The author agreed we could move it to MIT and add a mobile layout. It’s now available with the same layout as the desktop so the keys are a bit tiny, but that should get you going.

1 Like

Sorry if this is off-topic but I’m actually looking for someone familiar with the Deseret script who would be willing to transcribe a children’s story of around 2000 words. I’m new to this site but if anyone is interested in helping out, please send me a private message and I’ll reply as soon as I can. Thanks.

I’ve no idea if this will help you or not, but is this site (http://www.2deseret.com/) any use?

Or could you use that site to make a draft transcription and then find someone to review it (which might be an easier task than finding someone to do the initial transcription)?

1 Like

Thanks for the tip! You’re right that I may still need someone to review it but that link should save me a lot of time, and probably money too given how I won’t need to pay for the initial transcription.

I was wondering why this keyboard was missing so many letters. It turns out that the way this keyboard was implemented, it used things like double letters and letter combinations to access the missing letters.

To me, this is overly complex and requires the user to learn two different ways to write.

I think what needs to happen is these “combination” letters need to become longpress letters (at least on the mobile keyboard).

Now, does anyone know how to remove the letter doubling functionality on the mobile keyboard? keyboards/release/d/deseret at master · keymanapp/keyboards · GitHub

I’ve never seen this functionality on a keyboard before

This is a keyboard developed by someone else as you are no doubt aware. Based on your request I took the above steps. This is what I said:

The author agreed we could move it to MIT and add a mobile layout. It’s now available with the same layout as the desktop so the keys are a bit tiny, but that should get you going.

It’s the same layout on mobile as on desktop. I’m not able to take on more development for this keyboard. You would be welcome to create a new Deseret keyboard that would meet your needs.

I did create an issue linking to this thread in case someone has the time and wants to enhance the existing mobile layout.

@scho Are you interested in pursuing this? If so, please suggest a mobile layout, that is, what letters should become longpress letters (and what key they should appear on). Thanks!

I am willing to work on the mobile layout. I have a Deseret corpus and letter frequency data, and can do some optimization for the typing ergonomics.

There are some different solutions to the short/long vowel issue that could be preferred here. I’ll investigate.

2 Likes
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.