Can i use the font for a Saas software for free?

Hello,

I work in a company that has a software (SaaS) which clients hire for its use and I don’t understand if it is possible to use this typeface for free or if you have to pay for its use as it is a software that you have to pay to use it.

Thank you!

Fonts licensed under the SIL Open Font License can be bundled with commercial software. See OFL-FAQ questions 1.3 and 1.4.

Question: 1.3 I want to distribute the fonts with my program. Does this mean my program also has to be Free/Libre and Open Source Software?

Answer: No. Only the portions based on the Font Software are required to be released under the OFL. The intent of the license is to allow aggregation or bundling with software under restricted licensing as well.

Question: 1.4 Can I sell a software package that includes these fonts?

Answer: Yes, you can do this with both the Original Version and a Modified Version of the fonts. Examples of bundling made possible by the OFL would include: word processors, design and publishing applications, training and educational software, games and entertainment software, mobile device applications, etc.

1 Like