Can I use an OFL font in my commercially printed book?

Hi! I’ve found a lovely font on Google Fonts that has an OFL license. On that font’s page, Google Fonts says, ‘These fonts are licensed under the Open Font License. You can use them freely in your products & projects - print or digital, commercial or otherwise.’ But then, scarily: ‘This isn’t legal advice, please consider consulting a lawyer and see the full license for all details.’

I’ve read the OFL license and the FAQs but the information seems aimed mainly at software developers rather than people who want to print stuff! I can’t see anywhere in the OFL documentation the magic words, ‘free for commercial use’.

I’d like to use the OFL font for my printed book, which I will be selling commercially. Does the license permit me to use the font for the interior and/or cover of such a book?

Many thanks in advance for your help!

Question: 1.1 Can I use the fonts for a book or other print publication, to create logos or other graphics or even to manufacture objects based on their outlines?

Answer: Yes. You are very welcome to do so. Authors of fonts released under the OFL allow you to use their font software as such for any kind of design work. No additional license or permission is required, unlike with some other licenses. Some examples of these uses are: logos, posters, business cards, stationery, video titling, signage, t-shirts, personalised fabric, 3D-printed/laser-cut shapes, sculptures, rubber stamps, cookie cutters and lead type.

https://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?site_id=nrsi&id=ofl-faq_web#39ecfdcb

Thanks, Donghwi. I’ve seen that FAQ and answer but it doesn’t make it clear that the fonts can be used in this way for commercial purposes.

I can see why it could be seen as implied, but I’d like a clear statement from SIL.

FAQ question 1.1 has your answer, and it applies to any project - commercial or not.

Thanks, VictorG. Do you represent SIL on this?

I am a co-author of the SIL Open Font License. I am not a lawyer and cannot give you authoritative legal advice. However I can assure you that thousands (if not millions) of people are using OFL fonts for commercial publishing projects without concern.

Thanks, VictorG, that’s very helpful.