Build Failed

My Internet connect is good.
I had tried by changing signing key but the problem can’t be solved. It always said like this:

*** JDK ***

java version “1.8.0_121”
Java™ SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_121-b13)
Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.121-b13, mixed mode)

*** Android SDK ***

Target Android Platform: Android 10 (API 29)
Minimum Android Platform: Android 5.0 Lollipop (API 21)
SDK Tools Version: cmdline-tools 4.0
SDK Build Tools Version: 29.0.3
SDK Platform Tools Version: 31.0.2

*** Compiling Android APK ***

C:\temp\SIL\build\RAB.001\a>call gradle clean assembleRelease --warning-mode=none

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

• Where:
    Build file ‘C:\temp\SIL\build\RAB.001\a\build.gradle’ line: 91

• What went wrong:
    A problem occurred evaluating root project ‘a’.

No such property: signingConfigs for class: java.lang.String

• Try:
    Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

• Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 5s
The system cannot find the path specified.

BUILD FAILED:
The signed apk was not built successfully. This could be due to an internet connection problem. On the first build, the compiler needs to connect to the internet to download some library files.

A couple of things I noticed but not related to the failure.

You still have an Oracle Java JDK installed. If you have a paid license then you can use that but if not we recommend Azule Java JDK, so as ot to breach the license currently on the Oracle Java JDK.

Your SDK Build Tools Version should be 30. You may want to run Install Packages to update it.

Do you have a separate Gradle installation on your computer?

What are the two settings on the Tools > Settings > Build Folders tab?

Thank you so much.
You solved my problems. Now I can build apps successfully.

Good to hear it is now fixed.

How exactly did you solve this problem? Help me. I have the same problem.

Hi Ian,

I have similar failure info. However, I have Azule Java JDK. The SDK build tools is 30.0.3.
Two settings in Build Folders tab is: first one is empty. 2nd one /var/folders/qd/gqvh32h17dj1jn_lrrm9zzq80000gn/T/App Builder/build.

And my failure report is as below:

Using compiler in offline mode, as specified in build settings.

• gradle clean assembleRelease --offline --warning-mode=none

• What went wrong:
    A problem occurred configuring root project ‘a’.

Could not resolve all artifacts for configuration ‘:classpath’.
Could not resolve com.android.tools.build:gradle:4.1.3.
Required by:
project :
No cached version of com.android.tools.build:gradle:4.1.3 available for offline mode.
No cached version of com.android.tools.build:gradle:4.1.3 available for offline mode.

• Try:
    Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

• Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 286ms
ls: /var/folders/qd/gqvh32h17dj1jn_lrrm9zzq80000gn/T/App Builder/build/RAB.001/a/build/outputs/apk/release: No such file or directory

BUILD FAILED:
The signed apk was not built successfully. This could be due to an internet connection problem. On the first build, the compiler needs to connect to the internet to download some library files.

Copying log to output folder

Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.

[Process completed]

Looking forward to your help. Much appreciated.

Helping a user on the field. Same problem updating the gradle cache. What is the solution?
Tools: cmdline-tools 6.0
Build tools: 32.0.0
Platform Tools 33.0.3
Platform API: Android 12 (API 31)
No Gradle cache folder specified (using default location)

I found that the user did have a current cached version of Gradle. So I disabled the option to build offline, and the build succeeded. So the problem is simply some kind of access problem when trying to update the gradle cache. But it’s not clear what the problem is or how to resolve it.

Here is the log file from the failed build mentioned by Tom Bogle:
C:\Users\stibr\Documents\RAB.001\a>set ERROR_CODE=0

*** READING APP BUILDER ***
*** 10.1.1 ***

*** Building Android app ***

App Project: Hechos
App Name: Hechos
App Version: 1.0
Package: org.ztl.zapoteco
Apk Filename: Hechos-1.0.apk

Grandroid: Yes
Analytics: No
Expiry: No
App Builder: C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Reading App Builder
Audio: None

*** Setting paths ***

JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Amazon Corretto\jdk11.0.16_9
ANDROID_HOME=C:\sdk
GRADLE_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Reading App Builder\tools\gradle
MAVEN_HOME=C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Reading App Builder\tools\maven

Path=C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Reading App Builder\tools\maven\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\SIL\Reading App Builder\tools\gradle\bin;C:\sdk\tools;C:\Program Files\Amazon Corretto\jdk11.0.16_9\bin;C:\Python37-32\Scripts;C:\Python37-32;C:\Python37-32\Scripts;C:\Program Files\Amazon Corretto\jdk11.0.16_9\bin;C:\Python27;C:\Python27\Scripts;C:\Program Files\Amazon Corretto\jdk1.8.0_232\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client;C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client;C:\WINDOWS\system32;C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\System32\Wbem;C:\WINDOWS\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;C:\WINDOWS\System32\OpenSSH;C:\Program Files (x86)\FFmpeg\bin;C:\Program Files (x86)\eSpeak\command_line;C:\Users\stibr\AppData\Local\Microsoft\WindowsApps;
PATHEXT=.COM;.EXE;.BAT;.CMD;.VBS;.VBE;.JS;.JSE;.WSF;.WSH;.MSC;.PY;.PYW

*** JDK ***

openjdk version “11.0.16.1” 2022-08-12 LTS
OpenJDK Runtime Environment Corretto-11.0.16.9.1 (build 11.0.16.1+9-LTS)
OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM Corretto-11.0.16.9.1 (build 11.0.16.1+9-LTS, mixed mode)

*** Android SDK ***

Target Android Platform: Android 12 (API 31)
Minimum Android Platform: Android 4.1 Jelly Bean (API 16)
SDK Tools Version: cmdline-tools 6.0
SDK Build Tools Version: 32.0.0
SDK Platform Tools Version: 33.0.3

Using compiler in offline mode, as specified in build settings.

C:\Users\stibr\Documents\RAB.001\a>call gradle clean assembleRelease --offline --warning-mode=none

Welcome to Gradle 7.5.1!

Here are the highlights of this release:

• Support for Java 18
  • Support for building with Groovy 4
  • Much more responsive continuous builds
  • Improved diagnostics for dependency resolution

For more details see Gradle 7.5.1 Release Notes

Starting a Gradle Daemon (subsequent builds will be faster)

• What went wrong:
    A problem occurred configuring root project ‘a’.

Could not resolve all files for configuration ‘:classpath’.
Could not resolve com.android.tools.build:gradle:7.0.4.
Required by:
project :
No cached version of com.android.tools.build:gradle:7.0.4 available for offline mode.
No cached version of com.android.tools.build:gradle:7.0.4 available for offline mode.

• Try:

Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace.
Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output.
Run with --scan to get full insights.

BUILD FAILED in 12s
The system cannot find the path specified.

GENERACIαN DE APK FALLIDA:
La inscripción de la APK no se creó exitosamente. Puede ser por un problema de conexión a Internet. Para la primera creación, el compilador necesita conectarse a Internet para descargar algunos archivos de biblioteca.

C:\Users\stibr\Documents\RAB.001\a>gradle clean assembleRelease --offline -debug
‘gradle’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\stibr\Documents\RAB.001\a>call gradle clean assembleRelease --offline --debug
‘gradle’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Users\stibr\Documents\RAB.001\a>

@justino_martinez I see the output you have. I see you are on the latest version 10.1.1

I’d suggest that you reinstall your SDK and JDK. We have not been recommending Corretto JDK since before version 8.4. We now use Azul’s Zulu JDK. You can use the menu items under Tools to Install JDK and Install Android SDK. Then we can be sure that is correct.

I also notice that you are compiling offline. If it is your fist build you must be online. It is always safer to be online.

I see you have Grandroid included too. This is old technology, what minimum version are you targeting? It only works up to Android 4.3. There are not too many of those era phone still running. Are you using a Graphite font? I have not heard of its usage in the Americas but could be wrong.

Are you also using GeckoView?

@TomB We know that a separate Gradle installation can cause problems. We don’t recement users having a separate Gradle installation to the one installed by the App Builder.

I don’t think he does. But how can I check to be sure? I think the machine is configured in some odd way, and that’s causing the problem. Might need to reformat and start over.

I was able to resolve the problem by creating a new clean local user account and running RAB from there.

That was a good move. Wish I had thought of that.