Bug-report on Keyman + IPA (SIL) for Windows

Hallo,

according to documentation
“}” should produce Primary stress: ˈ
“}}” should produce Secondary stress: ˌ
Unfortunately, this doesn’t work: nothing happens.

This refers to:
physical keyboard: German QWERTZ
operating system: Windows 10 Version 20H2; 64-bit
Keyman for Windows 14.0 (Build: 14.0.273.0) + Keyboard IPA (SIL) (Keyboard ID: sil_ipa; Keyboard-Version 1.8.4; last updated: 2020-08-10)

Perhaps it is possible to inform the developers and to solve this tiny problem …
Apart from that: I am all enthusiastic about the possibilties of Keyman!

Regards

anfortas

Hi @anfortas, welcome to the community!

Another user reported this issue to us a few days ago, and we have a fix coming soon. (issue report)

1 Like

Hi Marc,

thanks a bunch for your very quick reply!
The prospect of a fix coming soon is, of course, great news for me.

And sorry for the redundancy of my post. I didn’t realize that another user (Polyglottery) had already mentioned the problem.

Regards

anfortas

1 Like

Absolutely not an issue. It actually helps us to gauge the extent to which a problem is affecting users and to prioritise what we work on.

For me, who will plan to use Dictionary Application for a language using a glottal stop, this issue is very relevant.

Welcome @Jafar!

We’ve just (5 minutes ago) published version 1.8.5 of the SIL IPA keyboard which corrects this issue for German hardware keyboards.

1 Like

Wow, that was fast!
Many thanks to you, Marc, and to Lorna!!

Casual remark on the update process:

The “Keyman for Windows User Guide” states: “If a keyboard with the same name is already installed, Keyman will ask you if you want to replace the old keyboard or cancel the installation.”

But when running the update of SIL IPA (1.8.4 > 1.8.5) within Keyman (Keyman configuration > Download keyboard) I was actually not asked if I wanted to replace the old keyboard (= old version 1.8.4).

Of course, this does not matter at all: The update worked, and now I can use my German hardware keyboard (QUERTZ) to insert IPA symbols for primary and secondary stress.

Thanks a lot.

anfortas

1 Like

You’re welcome!

And I’ve made note of an update to the documentation to bring it in line with the actual version 14.0 behaviour. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi Marc,

the problem described at the beginning of this thread ( “}” for primary stress and “}}” for secondary stress do not work on physical German/QWERTZ-keyboard) had been fixed successfully in version 1.8.5 of the SIL IPA keyboard.

Unfortunately, this fix is not part of version 1.8.6 of the SIL IPA keyboard. So there’s the same problem once again.

Is it possible

1. to provide a current version with this fix
  2. to make sure that this fix will remain in later versions (and will not be forgotten …) ?

Regards

Anfortas

Hi @anfortas,

I’ve just checked version 1.8.6, and it does still include this fix for German keyboards. So there is something else going on. Has there has been any other changes to your system configuration recently, or updates to Keyman itself? Would you be able to run a diagnostic report for us to review?

Hallo Marc,

thanks for your reply!
Well, I would never have thought that the fix is still included and that there might be a problem with my system. (I am not aware of any intentional changes.)

Right now, I am packing up for a two-week vacation. When I come back, I will try dealing with the IPA (SIL) problem and will report.

Regards

Anfortas

Well, I have investigated more deeply and located the issue – the SIL IPA keyboard itself is correct, but there is a bug in Keyman 15 for Windows which has surfaced here. I’ve just created a patch for the 16.0 beta, and we’ll back-port that to 15.0 once it passes test:

1 Like

Hey, that’s good news!
Last week I had sent the “Diagnostics report”, and now I logged on to the board to see if there might be a solution to the problem.
I am glad that you could replicate and finally locate the issue.
Thanks for investigating more deeply and working on a solution!

1 Like

We’ve just published Keyman 15.0.273 which should include this fix :grin:

2 Likes

Fantastic!
Actually, I didn’t pluck up the courage to try the Beta version of Keyman (16), but decided to wait for this minor update of (stable) current version 15.
Thanks a lot, Marc!

Anfortas

1 Like

Hi Marc,

We encountered the same issue, and found this tread. We have installed the latest keyman version 16.0.139 for Windows and the IPA SIL font 1.8.6 on Windows 11, and we are able to type neither Primary Stress nor Secondary Stress. The physical keyboard layout on my laptop is Norwegian.

Regards,
Oyuka

I’ve just managed to test this and it is fixed for me. I’ve used Notepad to type using IPA (SIL) keyboard on Windows 11 (see the details below).

Edition Windows 11 Pro
Version 21H2
OS build 22000.2003

Keyman for Windows version 16.0.139.
IPA (SIL) version 1.8.6

Here is the result of the test (see the content in the red box)

@Oyuka_Larring Could you try again and let us know if the problem persists for you?