Backspace not working properly

I created a new keyboard locally, and on Ubuntu 22.04 LTS and Chrome (Version 113.0.5672.63 (Official Build) (64-bit)) the backspace gets stuck. It doesn’t do anything. I have to either click on or hold in backspace several times to get it to work, or I have to click on the screen with my mouse to get a reaction from it. After that, it works like it should. Until I write something new. Then the problem resets.

@EberhardBeilharz are you able to assist on this? Is it related to ibus version?

1 Like

@Johannes_Genberg Do you have Chrome installed from .deb or snap/flatpak? Also, what version of Keyman and what version of ibus do you have installed (dpkg -l ibus | grep ibus)? To properly work with Chrome Keyman needs a patched version of ibus which can be identified by the string “sil” in the version number, e.g. 1.5.28-3sil1~jammy. For that reason only the .deb version of Chrome fully works with Keyman.

You can install the patched ibus version from the Keyman ppa (or alpha ppa) – or packages.sil.org/linux.lsdev.sil.org in case you have those enabled.

Apparently .deb, version 14.0.287. Ibus 1.5.26-4 installed.

If I need to change pak or update, what do I need to write in the Terminal?

In terminal, run the following commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:keymanapp/keyman
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade

This should upgrade you to Keyman 16.0.139 and ibus 1.5.26-4sil2.1.1. Afterwards reboot, and then backspace will hopefully work for you.

Thanks! I will try it out and get back to you :slight_smile:

This conversation has been resolved.