Backspace, Chrome/Edge 86 and Keyman

Chrome 86.0, released 6 October 2020, and rolling out over the last few days, appears to have a regression which stops Backspace from working whenever a Keyman keyboard is active. This issue also affects the same version of Microsoft Edge browser.

:arrow_right: Google Chrome 86.0.4240.111 is now available which reverts the change which caused this issue.

:arrow_right: If this problem impacts you, please vote for this Chromium issue.

:arrow_right: Workarounds

1. Use an alternate browser, such as Firefox.
  2. Pressing Backspace multiple times will sometimes work. Not a great solution, I know!
  3. Select the word or segment and then use the Delete key to delete the word/segment instead of the Backspace key
  4. Select a non-Keyman keyboard to delete text (!)

:arrow_right: Follow the Keyman bug report.

1 Like

This is also true of Microsoft Edge - Chromium version.

1 Like

The Chromium team are investigating the issue and have located the code change that caused the problem and reverting it. They are planning to release an update shortly.

I’m facing a similar issue on Firefox too. Backspace is working fine. But can’t type certain letters. Here is a screen-recording of the issue. I’m attempting to type the letters in double quotes. While typing in Firefox, they’re appearing weird.

• Google Chrome 86.0.4240.111 is now available which reverts the change which caused this issue. In Chrome, press Alt+F and select Help > About Google Chrome to update.
  • The Keyman team is continuing to work on Firefox and Chrome compatibility.
  • Utilities to help work around the problem for Firefox (and Chrome if you cannot update it yet) are now available at https://help.keyman.com/kb/100
2 Likes

Hi @joseph, welcome to the community. Can you try the workaround described at https://help.keyman.com/kb/100?

1 Like

I have updated Chrome browser to version 86.0.4240.111 (Official Build) (64-bit) and the backspace issue is now gone together with the gibberish output while typing. Edge however still behaves erroneously the same way; its current version is 86.0.622.48 (Official build) (64-bit).

1 Like

It did work. Thank you @Marc!

2 Likes

@Marc, it’s fixed today. Thank you for the part you had in helping the Chromium team investigate and fix the problem.

2 Likes

It turns out it worked for only a few hours then Chrome returned to the Backspace key problem. I’ll see if updating Chrome helps.

ok, the Chrome update takes care of the problem.

1 Like