Amharic Keyboard wont function fully on macOS Mojave

Note that @anbassa was experiencing this problem only on 10.14.5. So we need to test on that version further:

I have 10.14.5 on my computer, but I do not have Word, Powerpoint, InDesign, Photoshop or Illustrator, so I am unable to test those scenarios. @anbassa, can you tell me if the keyboard works correctly in TextEdit? I am trying to narrow down the specific environment in which it fails.

Dear Makara and the team,

Thank you so much for taking your precious time to address this issue.

The keyboard works correctly in TextEdit and Microsoft Powerpoint. On the other hand, it still is not functioning properly in the other programs such as Microsoft Word and all Adobe products (Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects).

I greatly appreciate your support and your responses.

Thank you,

Anbassa

I have now reproduced the problem in Microsoft Word. I have documented the problem at https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/1877 and we will be working on a resolution from there.

See also a similar report at SIL IPA ver 1.7 not functioning correctly on macOS Mojave.

I have a potential fix which I’d like to test further with you before I publish it. I have written up instructions on how to test the new version at: https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/1877#issuecomment-514429795

This does require some understanding of using the Terminal to execute commands; I would prefer not to have to force users into the Terminal in order to address the problem for the full release, so am working on that currently.

Please do let me know if this fixes the problem for you.

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for working on solving this issue. I followed the steps and tried the keyboard. Now, it works correctly on Microsoft Word. But on Adobe products, I still run into the same typing problems as shown below.

In Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop and After Effects, the outcome is the same:-

Pressing “aa” emits “አዓ” instead of “ዓ”

More example => typing “le lu li la lie l lo” emits “ልለ ልሉ ልሊ ልላ ልሊሌ ል ልሎ” instead of “ለ ሉ ሊ ላ ሌ ል ሎ”

In Adobe InDesign:-

Pressing "“aa” emits “አa” instead of “ዓ”

More example => typing “le lu li la lie l lo” emits “ልe ልu ልi ልa ልie ል ልo” instead of “ለ ሉ ሊ ላ ሌ ል ሎ”

Please let me know if you require more information.

Thank you

I have completed further investigations into this problem and am able to report improved outcomes for Adobe products. We are running this version through code review and testing and will release it shortly.

This is such a great news. Thank you so much for working on this. I am looking forward to the updates.

The fixed version is now available in Keyman 12.0.7 beta, downloadable from https://keyman.com/beta/

Hi Marc,

Thank you so much for releasing the beta version. I have downloaded and checked it on Microsoft and Adobe products. The keyboard works properly only on Microsoft Powerpoint. It still doesn’t work on the other programs, including Microsoft Word.

At this time, the issue is the same across all programs:- Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, After Effects, and Microsoft Word.

Pressing “la” emits “ል” instead of “ላ”

More example => typing “le lu li la lie l lo” emits “ል ል ል ል ል ል ል” instead of “ለ ሉ ሊ ላ ሌ ል ሎ”.

Thank you for working on it. I greatly appreciate it.

Hi again Anbassa,

Sorry that didn’t work straight off for you. I am checking again now that the new version published on the servers does work properly for me. Can you also do the following, after installing the 12.0.7 beta version:

1. Run the following command in Terminal:

sudo tccutil reset PostEvent

2. Restart your Mac

Hi Marc,

First of all I would like to thank you and all the team members for doing your very best to help us benefit from using these latest technologies. My sincere appreciation goes to you all. As you suggested, I ran the command, and, it fixed everything except Adobe Illustrator.

When typing “m” emits “ም” (this is correct). But when typing “ma” nothing appears on the screen, the corresponding character should look “መ”. The issue happens only when typing consonants and vowels that use a combination of two characters.

More example: typing “me mu mi ma mie m mo” emits " _ _ _ _ _ ም _" instead of “መ ሙ ሚ ማ ሜ ም ሞ” (*I use underscore here as a place holder for each character. Nothing appears when typing the letters).

I am very sorry for bothering you guys a lot.

Thank you,

That’s great news for all the apps except Illustrator! :slight_smile:

We’ll have to look at what is happening with Illustrator and see if we can resolve that; I suspect it may be due to timing of how the letters are replaced. It might be a little while before I can tackle the Illustrator compatibility, as I have a number of other things I also need to be working on. Thank you for you patience; please bear with me!

FWIW, I’m on Mohave 10.14.6 and Keyman 11.0.220 . I’ve noticed keyman has always been hit-and-miss with applications on OSX, and more reliable with native apps from Apple.

With MS Office (v16.16.13) I’m not experiencing issues with typing, unless I type too fast, then the “bu”, for example, might become the two letters “ብu” instead of a single “ቡ”. So my solution is simply to type slower.

Keyman 11.0.220 was built with an earlier version of XCode, so it continued to work. When we built the newer release, that triggered the issue that we’ve described (and since resolved).

And yes, the issues with order of events when typing too fast is something that I am aware of and would like to tackle. There will probably be a design process similar to what we went through for Windows, so it’s not a small challenge!

Thank you so much, Marc. I greatly appreciate the time and effort you and the team members put into solving this issue. The fix for Illustrator can wait until you get time to work on it. I am very happy that the keyboard works for almost all adobe programs. This is just wonderful.
Thanks,

Thanks for your patience @anbassa :slight_smile: I’ve logged the Illustrator compatibility problem at https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/2015 and as soon as I get some time I’ll check it out again.

I am no longer able to reproduce this issue with Adobe Illustrator – Keyman appears to be working correctly.

The problem seems to reemerge per this tweet.

I think we need more information than a tweet – can they write to the forum for assistance with some additional detail on what is happening? Have they tried the steps at https://help.keyman.com/knowledge-base/104 and if applicable, https://help.keyman.com/knowledge-base/108?

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.