ALT key does not work in Sinhala Keyboard

In the Sinhala keyboard for Windows I am working on, I have assigned some ALT - key assignments. They worked earlier, but have stopped working recently.

The code is shown below:

c Use additional key strokes for 'gna'
    	+ [ ALT 'n'] > U+0DA4
    	+ [ ALT 'g'] > U+0DA5

I have recently updated the Developer from version 10 to version 11. I am not sure if the change is after that.

Thank you for any advice on this difficulty please.

You can use rules such as:

+ [RALT K_N] > U+0DA4
   + [RALT K_G] > U+0DA5

I recommend using RALT rather than just ALT.

If you need it for shift it would be:

+ [SHIFT RALT K_N] > U+0DA4
   + [SHIFT RALT K_G] > U+0DA5

When you want to find out how to type a special key, in Developer you can go to “Tools / Virtual Key Identifier” and then type in the special keystrokes and it will show you what the code would be.

These are virtual character key rules that work with mnemonic layouts. They currently are only fully supported on Windows (on other desktop platforms, they work only with US English base layout). As far as I have been able to test, they work when the keyboard is installed, but there is a known issue in the debugger inside Keyman Developer.

Can you give more detail on what is happening when you say the keystrokes are not working?

I would also encourage you to update to version 12 of Keyman Developer; 13.0 will be coming out in the new year.

Thank you Lorna for the advice. Using the Tools, I was able to get it working. I was busy and could return to my design only during the holidays.

Thanks once again and wish a Merry Christmas and a Happy New year.

Dear Marc,

I was finally able to complete my design during the holiday season. Thanks for the kind advice. By the way, I upgraded to version 12.0, but found that it buggy: it stalls and logs out for some reason. Finally went back to version 11.0 and completed the keyboard.

Once again thanks for the help and wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

1 Like

Thanks for letting us know it’s working for you. I’m glad we could help.

I would like to understand more about what was going wrong in 12.0 (Developer or Desktop?) – can you give me some more details, as obviously we want newer versions to be more reliable, not less!

Dear Marc,

Sorry, I did not keep notes of any specific messages accompanying the logging out of the Developer 12. Now my development work is over, I will again upgrade to version 12 and see if the same problem recurs and inform you with more details.

Thanks for the concern.

Regards.

1 Like

Hi Prabhath, May I follow up on this? Has the problem be fixed for you? Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.