Allow Certain Users or Roles only Access to a Subset of the Dictionary

When you ask colleagues to review a dictionary, you often don’t want them to see every single entry in the dictionary. If it’s a FLEx project that’s been used for text analysis, for example, there will be lots of affixes in the dictionary that the reviewer doesn’t need to see. There may also be proper nouns or sensitive or embarrassing words that you would never make public in a paper or online dictionary. You don’t want the review to see these either. FLEx gives a way through the 'Publish X in" fields to help us decide what is going to be published. It would be very nice if a Language Forge manager could use at least the Publish Entry In field to filter what entries a user could see. Or maybe there could be some other method to restrict what entries the user has access to.

2 Likes

Thank you Ron for this feedback and feature request. If Language Forge were to implement the “Publish In” field in FLEx and then assign that dictionary to an existing role/user, would that be sufficient?

I think what you suggested would be sufficient. If the role/user was assigned the “Plant Dictionary” then he or she would only see stuff that has been assigned to that dictionary. That would be great. Ideally the Publish in Entry, Sense, Example and Picture fields would be considered in the filter, but at least as a first pass, the Publish in Entry.

1 Like

OK. Thank you for the clarification, Ron.

Warm regards,

Christopher Hirt
Team Manager - Thailand
SIL Language Software Development
chris_hirt@sil.org

Hi Chris, I wondered whether this is now possible, and if so how to indicate which publications a user should see.
David.

Hi David,

This is not yet possible. It’s a great feature suggestion though!

Warm regards,

Christopher Hirt
Team Manager - Thailand
SIL Language Software Development
chris_hirt@sil.org

This potential feature, using the FLEx Publish In field to limit what is available to specific Language Forge user categories, sounds very useful! Is there a way to “vote” for issues in LF, to evaluate user priorities?

Are there any workarounds - e.g. to upload only a subset of the dictionary to Language Forge, either by filtering in Flex first before sending to Language Depot, or in the transfer between Language Depot and Language Forge?

Thank you for the comment ekua. I’m sorry to say that at this point there are no reasonable workarounds other than creating a separate flex project and doing S/R with LF, for just this purpose. It’s a good feature request!

Okay, thanks - that’s what I wanted to know!

This feature would be a game-changer for us! As others have mentioned, if I could “hide” affixes or choose a subset by “Publish Entry In” or some other filter, it would be amazing. :sunglasses:

Hi Christ,
I am a new Language Forge User, working with SIL Chad.
Is the feature " This potential feature, using the FLEx Publish In field to limit what is available to specific Language Forge user categories" now implemented. I think it would also be very important for our purposes.
I want to try to use LF for crowd sourcing.
Greetings
John

Hi Christ,
I am a new Language Forge User, working with SIL Chad.
Is the feature " This potential feature, using the FLEx Publish In field to limit what is available to specific Language Forge user categories" now implemented. I think it would also be very important for our purposes. I want to try to use LF for crowd sourcing. Is it available already?
Greetings
John