Add a "Settings" gear icon to the display of the license statement so that its formatting can be configured more easily

We’ve found that we need the license statement on the credits page to be in a smaller font or have different line-spacing in some publications. The only way we currently know to configure the formatting for this block is through custom css or by making a dummy text area on one of the content pages of the book that we set to the “Credits-Page” style. Defining that style on a content page seems to control the formatting of the license block on the credits page; could those formatting controls be made available directly through a settings icon on the display of the license block? Or maybe an option to define that style could be included in the Copyright/License tool?

Thanks for this clear write up, Bruce.
Ideally you’d be able to change that “Credits-Page” style from one of the other editable boxes on that page. Maybe the reason you cannot is that they are all showing a different language than the license text boilerplate?

I don’t have the particular project right now, but I’ll follow up to check on the language definitions. It seems like the license text boilerplate wasn’t updating along with format changes made in the other editable boxes, that’s why we had to look for a way to access that style in a different place. In any case, they asked me for a way to change the size of the license boilerplate text to be smaller than the other text boxes. So if it shares the same “Credits-Page” style I guess we would need to look at changing the styles defined in our xmatter pack. I understand that people prefer to have all the fields on the Credits Page share the same style to ensure consistency, but there are times when we need to tweak the formatting to fit more information on on the page for some books.

@Bruce_Beatham Just so we’re on the same page, here’s the normal situation where you can set the format of the license by setting it on an editable field:

I do get your request to have the format button available on non-editable fields, too.

Thanks John. I have the collection synced to my computer and checked this out more now.

What I’m seeing is that in one of the books (the one that prompted the request to easily change the size of the license text independent of the other text on the credits page) the formatting functions exactly like you show above: changing the text in the acknowledgements field (or one of the other fields that share the credits-page style) does change the license text to match. (But the problem with that book is that we want the license text to be smaller than the other text on the credits page)

In another book in the same collection, when I change the formatting of most fields on the credits page, the license text remains unchanged. The only field I can change to affect the formatting of the license text is the ISBN field (because it isn’t tagged as a specific language)

The books in the collection have different provenances, so I’m sure the language of the license text is set to different languages. Some of our books are shellbooks from bloomlibrary, others were made in the collection, others were made in other collections (maybe on other computers) and then copied into collections here.

So I guess the request would be to have a button (or other manner) to access a way to configure the text of the license block, in whatever language it may be tagged as, and to have the formatting be independent of other text on the license page.

Thanks, I hope this all make sense; sometimes I confuse myself. :slight_smile:

Hi Bruce,
Yeah thanks for the info on your experimenation.

So I guess the request would be to have a button (or other manner) to access a way to configure the text of the license block, in whatever language it may be tagged as, and to have the formatting be independent of other text on the license page.

Right. The challenge is how to allow that while keeping the benefit of the current system, which is to generally keep a uniformity of the text that should look the same. I.e., allow sophisticated users to override things while at the same time, for most people, keeping all the text uniformly formatted.