Activities not visible for manager

Hi there

First: Thank you! A great tool! I’m still discovering.
Also great is the “Activity for all projects” button.
But if I am logged in as manager and owner (username: wuše.simon, project: tyq-flex) I can’t see any changes.
If I am logged in as a test user with contributor role, I can see every change.

Any hints where the problem might be?

Thank you!

Simon

Hi Simon,

I’ll be happy to help you with this problem. I’ve made a copy of your project on our internal development server and made myself a manager of the copy of the project, and I can see your changes in our copy of the project: the activity log is working fine for me, so I haven’t yet managed to reproduce the problem you’re seeing. Could you help me by letting me know which browser this happens in? And does it happen if you log into Language Forge with a different browser? E.g., if you’re using Chrome, please let me know what happens if you log in with Firefox or with Microsoft Edge, and whether using a different browser resolves the issue. That should help me narrow down the possible causes.

Sincerely,

Robin Munn
Language Forge developer

Hi Robin

Thank you for your help!

I’m usually using Safari on Mac. But now I’ve tried Firefox on my Mac and here I see the activities. Yeah! That’s already a solution (I should have come up with myself) for me. But if the fact that the issue shows up helps nailing a bug all the better :wink:

Thank you!

Simon

Good; if Firefox shows the activities, then that helps narrow down what might be causing this. One other step to try to help narrow it down further, if you don’t mind. I think this might be related to the data we keep in the browser’s local storage. Could you clear your local storage in Safari, and see if that makes the problem go away? There are instructions for clearing local storage at https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/safari-delete-cookies, but make sure you DON’T follow step 3 which would remove local storage for all sites. We just want to clear the local storage for the languageforge.org site; to do that, you’d skip to step 5 in those instructions (click the Details button and delete just the local storage for languageforge.org).

BTW, deleting local storage won’t permanently delete any data. What we keep in the browser’s local storage is a copy of the project data, so that you can continue to work if your Internet connection goes offline. But it has sometimes happened that the data in local storage gets “stale”, especially after we deploy a feature to the website. I.e., what I think might have happened is that your local-storage copy of the project didn’t have the activity log loaded into it, and so whenever you loaded the page, the browser said, “Oh, I have this project’s data in local storage, I can skip downloading it”. (We do this so that people who are paying by the megabyte, such as people on cell phone data connections, will have a minimum of data used when they use the Language Forge site). Result: you don’t see activity, but in a different browser you do see activity.

So if you clear the local storage for Language Forge in Safari, and then you start seeing the activity feed show up in Safari, then that’s what the problem was. Please let us know if clearing the local storage fixes the issue for you in Safari!

Dear Simon,

I’m glad that Firefox is working for and I apologize that your original question was not answered in a timely fashion. As Robin said, it would be great if you could reproduce the problem again in Safari and report back. Also, it would be helpful to know your OS version number and Safari version number. Thanks!

Hi Chris and Robin

Thank you for your replies.

I’ve cleared the local storage for language forge in Safari, but still can’t see any activity.

I use
Safari 12.1

on
Mac OS High Sierra Version 10.13.6

Simon

Hi Simon,

I’m investigating why the activities aren’t showing up in Safari. I’ll keep you posted of anything I find.

Robin Munn
Language Forge developer

Hi Robin

Don’t know what you did, but I can see the activities on Safari too now.

Thank you!

Simon

Hi Simon,

Yes, we fixed that problem in our latest release of Language Forge however we forgot to notify you :). Thank you for reporting it.

Kind regards,

Chris