Keyman 10 Beta Feedback

Here in PNG, we’re excited about all of the platforms available with Keyman 10!! Finally, one keyboard to rule them all.

I just downloaded the Beta version for iOS and have a few comments.

On the keyboard selection screen, the lowercase letters and Ethnologue/Language Codes (I’m assuming that’s what they are) are a bit odd. Should there be a requirement to have the actual name of the keyboard instead of a code? I don’t know how it would work in sensitive countries.

The codes qaa-qtz are reserved for local use. They appear in the list at present because they are assigned to legacy custom languages (e.g. fr-ca instead of fr-fr) or non-languages such as IPA. Thanks for pointing them out; they’ll be corrected with an update to the keyboards repository. (We’ll address the lower-case letters appearing in the alphabet list as an update to the app).

See:

Another suggestion: the ABC sidebar is quite small. Could that be a bit larger so it is easier to access?

sir i am sudhakar pondicherry india tamil language user. ANSI(non unicode keyboards) type keyboards configure and install well in this keymen 10 evaluation problem is solved. but some keys changes in another place eg:-shift key use change in some letters but older version keyman 5 and STMZ kmx keyboard work well…please repair in this keyman faulty keyboards

@sudhakar, I’d like to investigate this further. Can you tell me the precise filenames of the keyboards which are working differently and exactly which keystrokes are different? Even better, could you send me (to support@keyman.com) the keyboard .kmx or .kmp files that you installed.

Also please note that version 10 is completely free and open source - there is no payment required ever.

@sudhakar, I just spotted your other post at Keymen 10 tamil support &work well. If I understand you correctly, you found an answer to the problem with Shift keys?

I’m using Windows 7, Keyman Developer 10.0.1056.0.

I’m trying to develop a touch keyboard for Android and iOS.

Is there a way to duplicate longpresses from the tablet to the phone platforms or vice-versa? Maybe I am not doing it “correctly”, but I am finding that I need to create the same longpress for both tablet and phone platforms, which is twice the work. When you want a similar longpress for both capital and lowercase letters, you basically have to tell it the same/similar thing 4 times for a single key (uppercase and lowercase for phone, uppercase and lowercase for tablet).

Thanks for considering,

James

Would there be a way to mark keys that have a longpress option? As it is currently, there is no way to easily distinguish between keys that I have created a longpress for and keys that I have not created a longpress for. Wanting to make sure I have it correct, and being the OCD person that I am, I will be going back and individually clicking each key that I was supposed to do and make sure it has the longpress.

Options (see screenshot below) might be something like the character(s) that are available for the longpress like on the “a” and “e” keys, a colored * like on the “s” key, or outlining the key like on the “d” key.

I was just trying to test a keyboard on the web and the “Send addresses to email” option said I needed to edit the SMTP Settings. However, when I put the server address and try to send, it says, “The message failed to send with the following error: SMTP; Client was not authenticated to send anonymous mail during MAIL FROM. Please check your SMTP settings and try again.”

Instead of having to specify SMTP settings, would it be possible for this feature to open up the default email client on our machine?

Thanks,

James

Hi James

Is there a way to duplicate longpresses from the tablet to the phone platforms or vice-versa?

I suggest you delete the phone layout and focus on tablet. Both platforms can use that single layout.

Regarding a way to mark keys with longpress options: if you look at the K_A on the default layer, you’ll see a gray diagonal slash on the top right corner, marking that as having a longpress key.

@lss_png: Following on from what @darcy_wong said, in the apps, the keys with longpress are shown with a small dot in the top right corner; in the development environment, the subtle slash in the top right corner is shown instead.

You can also open the Code view of the touch layout editor (tab at bottom of screen) in order to copy key definitions from one layout to another, editing the JSON directly.

I’ve noted your comments on the SMTP/send via email options. Another alternative also would be to copy the entire message to clipboard which you can paste into some editor/mail client. I have noted these as feature suggestions in GitHub. https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/726

@Marc and @darcy_wong : Thank you for your comments. I see the subtle slash now, and I have seen the small dot in the app for iOS.

I guess it’s really minor, but could the slash be a few shades darker? It’s almost too subtle right now, but it is helpful.

Thank you for your quick responses!

1 Like

When I am testing locally and click “Add keyboard to Keyman for iOS”, should it be adding the keyboard from my local machine? It seems to be wanting to connect to the Internet and go to the Keyman repository for keyboards. I was under the (perhaps mistaken) impression that it would load the test version from my local machine.

Somewhere on one of the Help pages it said, “.TTF, .OTF, and .TTC fonts will be installed by the package installer, and uninstalled when the package is uninstalled. A list of the fonts installed is displayed in the Install Package dialog.”

The “uninstalled when the package is uninstalled” part didn’t sit right with me. There’s a few places this could cause troubles:

-If the person still wants the font to be installed even after they remove the Keyman keyboard (i.e., what if they used that font in documents, etc)
-If the font was installed before Keyman (like Doulos SIL or something), will it be uninstalled when the keyboard is uninstalled? This seemed to happen once on my machine, but I can’t seem to make it happen again.

Thanks,

James

If you test locally on your phone or tablet, it shouldn’t be going online to get the keyboard. Can you confirm that this is definitely what you are seeing?

This is one of those tricky balances. At some point, users need to be assured that uninstalling an application doesn’t leave artefacts on the computer. Does a font belong in this category? There is a suggestion that we could make removing fonts an option for the user, but we had this in the past and it caused confusion for less experienced users. But I hear you on this.

Keyman will not (“should not”) uninstall a font that it didn’t install. I’m not sure what you experienced but if you do manage to reproduce the behaviour, let me know.

Agree. See [Developer] touch editor - make slash darker · Issue #728 · keymanapp/keyman · GitHub

Trying Keyman 10 Developer (10.0.1056.0) (on Windows 7) encountered a minor problem - on clicking ‘Help’ I get to the webpage with a 404 page not found error for /developer/10.0/docs/ . The correct address is help.keyman.com/developer/10.0/ (without docs on the end)

Jeremy

@JGH, thanks for the feedback. We have this noted already as an issue at https://github.com/keymanapp/keyman/issues/723